Section 1 - Reading Comprehension
Paragraph 1 - Single-parent families: a new trend
Paragraph 2 - Single-parent households
Paragraph 3 - Single-parent families’ pressures
Paragraph 4 - How to solve single-parent families’ problems
Section 2 – Vocabulary Activator
1. It’s important to keep up with technology in order to get the most out of it.
2. Do men, women, and children share in the household chores?
3. Over a series of 10 workshops John and a team of experts will deliver to you the knowledge you need to excel in business.
4. The conservation of natural resources is the fundamental problem
5. Pressures are a normal part of life.
6. Breakup is one of the hardest things you can do, it breaks your heart inside, and you’re soon to be an ex-partner.
7. Humans are the only creatures that invent new technologies to solve problems.
8. Parents around the world are doing their best to raise their children to become happy, responsible adults.
9. Recently divorced parents may need a coach who can help them decide on the custody.
10. They supported him throughout his suffering.
Section 3 – Editing
a) Children may get angry at one parent for ending the marriage, breaking up their home and causing them pain.
b) In a healthy divorce both parents help the child deal with / work through the anger.
c) If things don't turn out the way you wanted them to, don't beat yourself up about it.
d) If you don’t improve your skills, it’s probable that you’ll keep making the same mistakes.
e) You and your partner need someone to talk to that will give you an objective outside opinion of the situation.
f) You never really understand a person until you see things from his point of view.
g) It is imperative that parents have a clear understanding for what is important for their children.
h) The best way to teach values to children is through everyday passion and example.
Section 4 – Paraphrasing
1. These days / Nowadays there are/ We can see many / various kinds/ types of single
parent families / families held / led by one parent.
2. The single parent will probably become exhausted / stressed / for having to take care /
look after his/her kids.
3. Single-parent families have to cope with/to handle/to go through many other problems
that a traditional family doesn’t have to.
4. The single parent can assist/give support to / members of the family / children to
overcome/to deal with/ problems if they talk to each other about how they feel and
what they think about the situation.
UNIT 2 – EASY RIDERSFREE ANSWER
The Present Perfect is very similar to the Present Perfect Continuous. What’s the idea of PPC in the sentence above? Idea of continuity.
( I ) The –ing form is used before while and when.
It is used after while and when.
( C ) If there is a verb after a preposition, it must come in the –ing form.
( C ) After some verbs such as stop, finish, mind, etc. the verb must come in the -ing form.
( I ) After the verb go the –ing form is never used.
The –ing is used after the verb go.
( I ) The little girl felt sick while the trip.
during the trip.
( C ) The little girl felt sick while she was traveling / traveling.
( C ) I always feel sleepy during silly movies.
• John has been to Italy. = John has visited Italy before.
• Julia is in France right now. = Julia has gone to France
_ Write C for Count nouns and NC for Non-Count nouns.
song / people / foot / dollar
furniture / money / music / homework / information / space/room / news / love / water
_ Complete the sentences with already, still or yet.
- Have you talked to the doctor yet?
- No, the phone is still busy.
- I have already tried to contact him